ill.Gates is a Toronto-based composer, performer and educator. Over the past 16 years, he has established a global fanbase and a reputation as one of the most dy¬namic electronic music artists around. He regularly tours across North America, Europe, Australia and Asia. Gates has headlined at such festivals as Burning Man, Shambala, the World Electronic Music Festival and the New Orleans Jazz Festival. His first full-length release, Autopirate (Muti Music, 2008) charted and continues to sell strongly. His upcoming triple album The ill.Methodology and accompa¬nying online course are highly anticipated. Gates was re¬cently selected as one of the Next 100 by URB Magazine.
Recent Career Highlights
• Kicking it with his namesake, Bill Gates; while play¬ing a private party for Microsoft at the Sundance Film Festival (2010)
• A thriving creative partnership with San Francisco-based bass music icon Bassnectar, including a chart-topping remix of ‘Maximum’ by DJ Vadim that sold so fast the duo were accused of chart-hacking (2010)
• Opened for Drake in Hollywood (2010)
• Recorded a free album live at Salon Leopold in Vienna.
• Developing Ableton Live production packs & tutorials for Eskamon, the new collaboration between Eskmo & Amon Tobin (2010)
• Headlined the world’s first concert for the deaf, using Emoti-Chairs developed by the Alternate Sensory Input Devices (ASID) Lab at Ryerson University (2009)
• Dance accompaniment by world-famous Chinese dancer Dino to his song ‘Eggplantation’ in front of a massive live audience in Singapore, which led to licensing of Autopirate in Korea (2009)
• Composed ‘Adagio for Disney Hall and Coffee Grind¬er’, for an upcoming DVD by architect Frank Gehry which explores the relationship between architecture and music (2008)
Many of his contemporaries cite ill.Gates as a key artistic influence and inspiration in their music.While on tour, Gates frequently teaches workshops to grateful and attentive audiences, in which he shares his highly effective approach to producing quality finished music as well as in-sights into the mentality and strategies necessary to succeed in the music business.
ill.Gates appears on: Muti Music, Amorphous Music/Child’s Play/Om Records, Addictech, Noodles, Innerflight, Low Motion, Made In Glitch, Tube10 & Chi Recordings